Sunday, January 6, 2008

There is no stupid question??

I have to admit Cole was a pretty relaxed newborn. No colic, no reflux, a perfect picture of health. As "easy" as he was, those first few weeks were far from easy. The adjustment was difficult (as I imagine it is for every new mom). The recovery was difficult. Our lives had changed forever and we couldn't help but think maybe we weren't quite as ready as we had thought. If you are at this point, please know that these feelings quickly go away.

We had so many questions and wondered always wondered if we were making the right decisions for our baby. Should we wake him to feed him? What if he has a dirty diaper when he's asleep? Is that a diaper rash? How do we know if he ate enough when he nursed? Is he sleeping too much? The questions are endless. I learned fairly quickly that it's pretty hard to "mess up" a baby this small (aside from the obvious) and to just go with my instincts.

It seems like it was so long ago, that we brought my little guy home from the hospital, but on the other hand it seems like time is flying by. I have figured a lot of things out, but some questions still remain. Should we give him a bite of our food? Do we just let him cry? Is he sick, should we call his doctor? I guess I’ve just come to terms with the fact that I’m not always going to know what to do. And I’m probably going to make some mistakes along the way.

No comments: