Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Baby proofing

Yesterday, I was in Babies R' Us looking for plug covers (and of course buying a bunch of other crap I don't need...see post below). I was walking through the baby proofing aisle and looking at all these contraptions that are meant to keep your baby safe. The sucker in me, almost picked up a few more items, but my rational side talked me out of it. Of course the companies that make these products want parents to think that every single item in their home presents a danger to their child. And while this may be true, I plan on watching my kid!!! Here are a few of my favorite items:

1. Toilet seat lock - This device hooks onto your toilet and locks the seat to the bowl, so your little one can't climb inside the toilet.

Ummm, my child does not and will not go into the bathroom alone, until he is old enough to understand that the toilet is not a swimming pool.

2.
Stove Guard - A shield that blocks your child from touching the stove.
While this might not be a bad idea, I plan to keep my baby away from the stove. When he gets older, if the stove is on, I will be right there. I guarantee that if he touches it once, he won't do it again!

Oh, and what about the oven??? Doesn't this pose the same risk?

3. Choke tube tester
- This cup is designed to tell you whether or not your child will choke on their toys. You place the toy in this cup, if it falls out, it's small enough for your child to swallow.

Use common sense here. Any toy that is small enough for my son to fit entirely in his mouth is not a toy that I'm going to let him play with. Period!


I'm not saying I think baby proofing is a bad idea. I just think some people tend to go a bit overboard. My son is never alone in a room, unless he's in his Pack N' Play. In my house, I have outlet covers, cabinet locks and gates at the top of the stairs. I might get some of those corner protectors when he starts walking.

Disclaimer: If you like these products and think they will work well in your home, then certainly buy them. I am not a baby proofing expert.

1 comment:

Katie said...

LMAO! I agree on the stove thing, the oven door gets just as hot!!! (KMH)